With its founding in the Great Depression, Christian Businessmen’s Committee (now Christian Business Men’s Connection) is an organization dedicated to bringing the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ to business and professional men all over the world. You can learn more about CBMC here: http://www.cbmc.com.
The Little Rock CBMC held a zoom session this past Tuesday, October 12. It was very productive, as we gathered in Jesus’ name. Here are some key points that emerged from the session, along with prayer requests:
Six Key Points emerged from our discussion:
1) Why are we so easily deceived, as described in I Timothy 1:3-7? (Gordon)
As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine,nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. I Timothy 1:3-4
- If I know the Word of God and appropriate it, then I am less likely to be deceived. God is the creator of heaven and earth. It starts there. This helps me discern deception. There is a pattern of deception. Satan is the author of deception from the beginning. If you watch TV, you will see deception. (Chet)
- Deception comes from people not checking things out – being irresponsible. We don’t understand deception; we are used to living in a free society and don’t look at what is going on around us. (Jim Ijames)
- When we reject the truth, God gives us over to a reprobate (debased) mind. (Mark)
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting… Romans 1:28
2) What about those who say “God would never judge those people, they are good people?
- It will come down to this – if you reject the principle that Jesus is the Messiah, then you are open to all kinds of beliefs. (Chet)
- We want comfort so much that we are unwilling to disagree with others. So we are compliant. (Mike)
- The only thing that matters is Jesus Christ and everything else is secondary. (Gordon)
- 50 years ago, I reached the zenith of self-deception. I came back, but some never did. When I came to a knowledge of the truth. I wasn’t completely wrong, but was still deceived. At the core of deception is fear.
3) God has not given us a spirit of fear.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. II Timothy 1:7
So God has not given us a spirit of fear. If He didn’t, where did it come from? (Gordon)
4) To become a believer is to become a miraculous incredible experience.
If you think you are a good person, talk about how amazing God’s faith is. The human body has 32 trillion cells – how can evolution do this? It is a work of the Holy Spirit that brings us to God. (Greg)
5) Yoga is subtle and easy to embrace.
- At the core of yoga is a belief in a polytheistic world view. (Gordon)
- I have friends who practice yoga, encouraged by friends who are not true believers. They even do it in church. Yoga is subtle and is all over the place. I have to pray on my knees and turn them over to the Lord. (Chet)
- Those who came to influence your friends came in very friendly. Satan comes in very small ways. (Mike)
- We are to meditate – upon scripture. [God is the object of our meditation]. (Gordon)
- I saw a lot of people [in the Philippines] going to Yoga, but they forget God. We need to meditate on the Word of God. (Santi)
- The Word of God addresses eastern religions and practices:
For You have forsaken Your people, the house of Jacob, because they are filled with eastern ways; They are soothsayers like the Philistines, and they are pleased with the children of foreigners. Isaiah 2:6
6) The basic Christian life is that we share what we have with others.
We have not been taught that in our culture. With mine it was sharing with family. We don’t necessarily share with neighbors. How do we share with others in today’s culture? (Chet)
- You have to first love that person. (Mike)
- We had a garden growing up in WWII. It was the norm – everybody helped each other out, because everybody was the in the same boat. In the 50’s and 60s, prosperity came, and we left that behind. The basis is Jesus. (Jim I.)
- A singer recently said: “Give with what you have given, with love.” (Mike)
- Vicki prays and ask God to show her how to use her gifts to help others. I need to do the same. (Chet)
- Third world countries have a higher spiritual level – they are thankful. On a mission trip in another country, people have gardens, and they share everything. (Greg)
- Jesus Christ the King Church needs assistance in a poor county, but are doing amazing things. They put up churches all over the place. Reminds me of people of the Old Testament. They shared with each other. (Santi)
- One way to give is to give $5 or $10 and a short article to people you see on the street who are asking for assistance. Here is an example:
Your Ticket to Heaven
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16