“If we could only get the right people in Washington, our nation could be turned around.”
Response: There are many pundits and political animals who contend that the real battle today in our nation is between Democrats and Republicans, or perhaps the establishment parties vs. the Tea Party. Is that really true that the profound challenges facing our nation are merely political in nature, and therefore can be solved by getting the right people into office?
Perhaps, but ultimately the leaders of our nation reflect the values of our citizens. We elect people who espouse our vision for America, and we vote out those who don’t share our vision, or are inept at implementing that vision. Look at what has happened in our nation in recent years:
- The seven leading problems in public schools in the 1940s were chewing gum, talking, running in the hallways, making noise, getting out of place in line, wearing improper clothing, and not putting paper in wastebaskets. Seventy years later, the seven leading problems have become alcohol abuse, drug abuse, pregnancy, rape, suicide, arson/bombing, and assault/burglary. We’ve gone from gum chewing and talking to rape and school bombing. But what do we expect when we teach our kids they are just smart animals?
- Our nation has engaged in continuous warfare against other nations, promoting regime change in multiple countries (such as Iraq, Libya, Egypt, Ukraine, Syria, and Iran) and killing millions of innocent people (over 1 million people have died in Iraq because of “weapons of mass destruction”).
- Our political leaders have created a federal debt that is so massive, it will never be repaid, and will burden our children and grandchildren for generations to come.
- Over 50 million unborn babies have lost their lives since Roe vs. Wade in 1973. This is the equivalent to an atomic bomb wiping out the population of the states of New York, Virginia, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and New Jersey.
- Our nation promotes abortion and homosexuality in our foreign policy, often tying foreign aid to other nations’ willingness to adopt policies supporting these practices (Kenya is just one example).
- President Obama, the most pro-homosexual president in our history, was re-elected, in part due to a solid voting bloc of Christians.
- He also stated that we are no longer a Christian nation, and “the future must not belong to those who slander the Prophet of Islam”.
- Over 30 states (and many churches) have now embraced homosexual marriage, in spite of the Biblical admonitions against homosexuality.
- When the planes hit the World Trade Towers on 9-11, the response from the American people was righteous indignation, almost a demand that “God bless America”, and a religious service for our leaders in the Washington cathedral that featured leaders from Christian, Catholic, Jewish, and Muslim faiths. Incredible. The most prestigious center of commerce and our defense establishment are attacked by unknown forces, and we respond with the religion of universalism! What did not happen was the people of our nation crying out to God, repenting of our sins, and seeking the protection and guidance from the sovereign, living God of the universe.
So it appears that we have the leadership that we want, and are moving along the path we have chosen.
From the Word of God we read:
“For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?” I Peter 4:17
“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14
The Word does not say “if you elect the right person to be your leader”, or “if all of the people”; it says “If My people will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways…”
We need to repent, to turn back to the Lord, and pray for our nation, for God is just.